New Delhi: The Congress on Sunday adopted the ‘Udaipur New Resolution Declaration’, a roadmap for sweeping reforms in the party organization to prepare for the next round of Assembly and Lok Sabha elections.
Sunday was the last day of the three-day Chintan Shibir in Udaipur after a series of electoral defeats and disagreements in the party over the years.
The new roadmap was adopted by the Congress Working Committee (CWC), the party’s highest decision-making body, after final discussions on key organizational, political, economic, agricultural, social justice and youth-related issues.
The CWC met on the sidelines of the camp earlier in the day to approve the decisions, based on reports from six dedicated panels – formed by party president Sonia Gandhi to examine in detail all issues, including ideology, economic policy and social engineering. .
Addressing the session on the last day of the camp, Rahul Gandhi said: “We have to accept that the Congress has lost touch with the people … our fight is for ideology. We have to go to the people and sit down. They have re-established the party’s connection with the people. To do. ”
Here are the key decisions made in the brainstorming session:
* The team has adopted a “one family, one ticket” formula with Ryder that if another member of the family wants to run in the election, he or she must work in the team for at least five years. The formula paves the way for leaders like Priyanka Gandhi and others to contest elections as they have been working in party posts since 2019.
* Congress will enforce ‘1 person, 1 post’ rule.
* No person shall hold a party post for more than five years. At the end of the term, the position must be resigned. If the leader returns to the same position, it will be followed by a cold period of three years.
* As part of its social engineering efforts to gain the confidence of the weaker and oppressed sections of the society, the team has approved 50% representation of SCs, STs, OBCs and minorities at all levels of the organization.
* It will set aside 50% party seats for those under the age of 50 in party committees at every level of the Congress organization.
* The party further said that it would give legal guarantee to MSP for farmers and make unemployment a major issue in the upcoming elections.
* Congress will form an ‘assessment wing’ to monitor the performance of all office bearers.
* It will form a ‘Public Insight Department’ that will seek public opinion and conduct surveys to prepare for war for elections.
* It will set up an integrated communication department as well as a national training department.
* All vacancies will be filled in 90-120 days.
* The Congress President will form an advisory team from among the CWC members to consider the political challenges.
In her concluding remarks, Congress President Sonia Gandhi said that the Congress would embark on a ‘Bharat Jod Jatra’ from Kanyakumari to Kashmir on October 2, Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti. At the district level from 15 June.
(With input from the agency)